Thursday, May 21, 2015

Coping with Stress

We've talked a lot in class about stress, what it is, the different kinds of stress, and the effects it has on us. Though many of us found stress to be important, and rather than trying to reduce stressful activities, we should learn how to deal with it ourselves. However, we have not yet discussed on the different ways to cope with it. I've done some research and the main points to think about when dealing with stress are to face it head on and to do things that are healthy.
The first idea mainly deals with approaching your stress and analyzing it. Bottling up everything that is going through your mind will not likely help your stress. The same goes with distracting yourself. This does not fix anything. The best way to approach stress is to find out what is making you stressed, analyze it, then talk to someone about it, decide that it is not worth stressing over, or try to solve the root of your stress.
The second idea is that you should do things that are healthy for you, and allow you to clear your mind in a sense. This includes exercising, eating healthy, and meditating. At times of stress, these things may seem like they will only bring you more stress, but you will likely find yourself feeling better and thanking yourself.



Sources:
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/stress/index.shtml
http://www.mayoclinic.org/coping-with-stress/ART-20048369?p=1

3 comments:

  1. One way I have found to reduce stress for myself is to tackle my problems personally. Stress, in my case, is usually caused by overwhelming/ irrational thoughts about a topic I would rather not deal with whether it be my procrastination or prepping a resume for college. I have found that actually dealing with my problems directly and taking the time to dismantle and solve them creates a great feeling of relief that makes the stress simply go away. But this solution varies with the type of stress one struggles with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post!

    To add to your first point, I think it is important also (if necessary) take some stress off your plate. For example, even though I really enjoy doing choir outside of school, I realized it might be healthier to quit. I was disappointed but felt very relaxed. Like you said, unless you actually approach the problem and look for solutions, nothing will get better.

    On your second point, I think it is also important to drink water!!! People don't drink enough of it and begin to feel sick. This is a super important one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you pointed out how just simply distracting yourself does not actually relieve the stress. Most of the time when I distract myself instead of actually doing the work I need, more stress is put on me. This happens through the thoughts still in the back of my head even though I try to ignore them, and also through my parents.

    ReplyDelete