Friday, May 22, 2015

A Day in the Life of Amy Chua

Summer Break
6:30 am - Amy wakes up to the family dogs, Coco and Pushkin, licking her chin.
"Dogs are so much nicer than daughters.  Sophia and Lulu, now somehow 22 and 19, are going back to college tomorrow. They've been home for almost a month, and frankly, we've had some rocky moments." 

Amy looks on as her daughter, Sophia, practices piano (top). Lulu plays the violin (bottom).                                        

11:00 am - Amy has graded 10 exams, wrote three letters of recommendation, and blurbed a book.

12:00 pm - Amy unloads the dishwasher

1:00 pm - Amy wakes up her daughters
"Gently reminded them that they had to start packing. And do their own laundry, because it was ridiculous in this day and age that a woman with a career like me still had to do all the housework.  Deeply moved by my own words." 

"Asked Lulu why she had to waste $3.49 on a Dunkin' Donuts coffee when we have perfectly good coffee at home and when $3.49 would have fed my whole family for a month when I was growing up." 

"Discovered that Sophia got a tattoo.  She tried to hide it from me, but I spotted it.  Instead of going ballistic like I have in the past, I was very reasonable.  I told Sophia that I was glad she had at least chosen a physics symbol (a light cone) and that I would pay for its removal.  I'll have to hide this from my parents."

"I wish I'd made their stay more fun.  What if they don't want to come home again?" 

Spring Term
6:30 am - Wake up
10:00 - 12:00 am - Amy attends a meeting
12:00 - 2:00 pm -  Amy attends another meeting
2:00 - 6:00 pm - Amy holds marathon office hours
6:30 pm - Amy hosts dinner for a student organization
8:00 pm - Amy plays tennis and runs with her dogs, Coco and Pushkin

9:00 pm - Amy meets some research assistants for drinks

"Self control, discipline, resilience. I got that from my parents." 

 Amy Chua with her husband, Jed Rubenfield

Source:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-week-in-the-life-of-the-tiger-mother-amy-chua-1422632082





No comments:

Post a Comment